Vehicle Mileage Rates

For those of you that use your personal vehicle for a small amount of business or rental property use, if you keep a record of the distance you travel for business or rental property related matters, then you can include a vehicle mileage claim in your tax return.  The vehicle logbook should include the date of travel, the distance of the travel and the reason for the travel.  Remember that in the event of an IRD audit, the IRD could ask to see the logbook so if you want to claim for vehile mileage, then good record keeping is essential. 

Here is a list of the vehicle mileage rates:

2008 and prior 62c per kilometre
2009 70c per kilometre
2010 70c per kilometre
2011 74c per kilometre
2012 77c per kilometre
2013 77c per kilometre

Disclaimer: The above article is general in nature and we recommend you seek professional advice tailored to your specific personal situation.